Thursday, January 7, 2016

Taking Responsibility for Your Part: Step #7 of Forgiving Someone Who has hurt you

I post an affirmation about this very subject on my Face Book page and I post a quote on my Face Book page about the difference between Pride and Humility. "pride makes excuses, humility makes adjustment."

Dr. Wayne Dyer says we should take responsibility for our part in the hurt - Removing blame means never assigning responsibility to anyone else for what you're experiencing. It means that you're willing to say, "I may not understand why I feel this way, why I have this illness, why I've been victimized, or why I had this accident, but I'm willing to say without any guilt or resentment that I own it. I live with, and I am responsible for, having it in my life.

If you take responsibility for having the experience, then at least you have a chance to also take responsibility for removing it or learning from it. If you're in some small (perhaps unknown) way responsible for that migraine headache or that depressed feeling, then you can go to work to remove it or discover what its messages is for you. If on the other hand, someone or something else is responsible in your mind, then of course you'll have to wait until they change for you to get better. And that is unlikely to occur. So you go home with nothing and are left with nothing when peace is really on the other side of the coin.

I like Dr. Dyer's response to taking responsibility for your part. We've all been through some things in our lives where we really would like to blame the other person for what happened to us. I've been there, God knows how many times. Let's go back to when I was 16. I was trying to learn how to dance with my now "baby's daddy"... he wasn't my baby's daddy at the time... one thing lead to the other and we ended up having sex and I got pregnant. Now, my story was, "HE GOT ME PREGNANT!" NO, sweetie, YOU GOT PREGNANT!!!... LOL. I put all the blame on him but seriously, I played a part in getting pregnant just as much as he played a part in planting the seed. How many of us have done that.. right??? I had a choice to say yes or no... seriously I should not have been in my brother's room anyway... trying to learn how to dance and I'm a CHURCH GURL...

Now, 35 years later, I understand the lesson in it...NEVER TRY TO LEARN HOW TO DANCE WITH SOMEONE WHOSE NOT YOUR HUSBAND...LOL

We all have a choice in the matter... make sure you are able to take responsibility for your choices.

Remember to Smile Everyday, Show Up Everyday, and Succeed Everyday
Find Peace Within
Be blessed,
Ms. Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you,
Ms. Lisa