Monday, December 21, 2015

The Life of a Flower April 1960 - Dec. 2006

Life brings us many surprises. There are some that are not so shockingly surprising, while others just knocks us off our feet. As the word of God says, "there is a time for everything. A time to live and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to reap."

Nine years ago today, two days before my wedding, the Lord called home a very special person in my life, my sister Flora. I was heart broken and confused because of the timing of her death but at the same time, I understood the Lord's doing. Despite the lost of my sister, the wedding took place. It rained that Saturday morning Dec. 23, 2006. I was thinking to myself, Lord, please stop the rain. Please don't let today be a sad, cloudy, dreary day. It's bad enough Flora isn't here, my family is hurting and today is my wedding day. On my first wedding my oldest brother had a terrible car wreck, on my second wedding my son had a terrible car wreck, so please don't let this be another day filled with tragedy and sadness. As the day progressed the rain continued. On the way to the church to prepare for the wedding, the rain stopped, the sky cleared, and the sun came out. It was a beautiful day, I believe the temperature was close to 80 degrees outside.. It was hot enough for me to take pictures outside in my sleeveless dress. That was a sign from God and my sister Flora, that everything was going to be okay, and it was. :).

As I recap the morning I received the call: It was 7:30 and I was on my way to take my then fiance' (Steven's) tuxedo to the cleaners. My phone rang and it was my baby sister Dawn, I could hear the fear in her voice as she said, "Flora just died"... I said, "what, what, are you serious!" I had to pull over into the Amtrak Parking lot to gather my thoughts. I asked her to repeat herself and she did. I made my way to the dry cleaners to drop the clothes off. The lady at the counter knew something was wrong as I am a regular at the cleaners. I told her I just got a call that my sister died and my wedding is in 2 days. I asked her what should I do! My heart is hurting .. should I postpone the wedding on continue with my plans. She said continue with the wedding, your sister would want you to do that. The lady at the counter stopped to say a prayer with me. As I got back in my car, I called home to see what was going on and to get more details of what happened with my sister. She passed at home in her room in the arms of our daddy.... my dad and my sister didn't have the best relationship but in the end, I believe restoration took place as her last words were "daddy" and he was there to hold her as she took her last breath and went on to be with the Lord.

Flora means "Flower"- something beautiful, brings comfort, makes people smile, and brightens every space it occupies. That was the life of my dear sister Flora, a smile that would light up the room, a voice that was quiet and soft but yet heard and understood. She had a way of comforting you and making sure you knew everything was going to be alright. She sat beside me and held my hand when I told my parents I was pregnant. She was there to help me take care of my baby as a teenage mother. She was there to pick me up when I was in places I should not have been. She was the one who said I would write a book one day. She was the one who told me to live my life for me and not for anyone else. She was the one who gave me my first Halle Berry cut...(she messed it up but I didn't care LOL). She was our flower, our little sunshine, our little mouse who often walked in softly, but we knew she had been in the room.. much like a mouse who leaves a trail every where it goes.

Today, we celebrate the Life of a Flower - our dear sister Flora Marie Wilson-Sellers
Gone but not forgotten.

Please remember to Smile Everyday, Show Up Everyday, and Succeed Everyday
Find Peace Within
Be blessed,
Ms. Lisa


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you,
Ms. Lisa