Tuesday, February 2, 2016

When I think of myself by: Maya Angelou

In recognition of Black History Month I will be honoring some of our great poets. This week we will read some of Maya's awesome poems.

When I think about myself,
I almost laugh myself to death,
My life has been one great big joke,
A dance that's walked
A song that's spoke,
I laugh so hard I almost choke
When I think about myself

Sixty years in these folks' world
The child I works for calls me girl
I say "yes ma'am for working's sake.
Too proud to bend
Too poor to break,
I laugh until my stomach ache
When I think about myself.

My folks can make me slit my side.
I laughed so hard I nearly died,
The tales they tell, sound just like lying,
They grow the fruit,
But eat the rind,
I laugh until I start to crying,
When I think about my folks.

Maya Angelou


What an amazing picture of who we were and how far we've come.

Remember to smile Everyday, Show Up Everyday, and Smile Everyday
Find Peace Within,
Be blessed,
Ms. Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you,
Ms. Lisa