Sunday, August 24, 2014

What Are You Feeding Me?

Many of us have had those moments when we were soooo hungry that we picked up anything to eat, anything to satisfy the hunger. One Snickers Bar and a Pepsi, One bag of Funyuns and a Cheer Wine, One bag of peanuts and a Coca Cola. Or you just got something from McDonald's or Wendy's. Even though all of these items are considered food, but these items have no healthy nutritional value. In the fitness world, these food items are considered empty calorie fillers.

Well guess what... this blog is not about foods that have no nutritional value. Sorry for those of you who are looking for another article about how to lose weight and eat healthier... this is not the article you're looking for.

Here's the real story:

What are you allowing people to feed you?

How many times have you had someone come to you at work or even on your personal time talking about someone or something that happened that you have absolutely nothing to do with and has no value? Well I have, and sometimes I have found myself getting involved with the gossip or the mess of others. This type of behavior is not healthy for our spirit and it doesn't speak well of those of us that say we are children of God.

Recently I found a way to get people to stop feeding me with empty calories. I was listening to my Online Mentor, Iyanla Vanzant, and this is what she does to stop people from feeding her empty calories... She ask them this question, "What is it you want me to do with that piece of information?" she waits for a response... (most of the time they are shocked at her question) She then ask them, "Are you looking for a response from me or are you just venting?" (again silence...) after a brief moment of SHOCK..I'm sure. That response alone stopped people from bringing her empty calories.

I tried it at work (several times)... and Lord it works... someone emailed me some empty calories, and my question was, "What is it you want me to do with this piece of information?" I didn't get a response and and still haven't. Guess what... I get no more emails and people don't come to my desk with gossip....

What I know to be true: When you let people know where you are coming from, what you will and will not tolerate in your space, they will respect you more and pass right by you when they want to feed someone some empty calories. Gossip is just like eating a snickers bar.... it has no nutritional value and in the end, it hurts your spirit and takes you out of your peaceful place.

This weeks lesson: Be honest with people and do not allow people to feed you empty calories.... Keep your spirit free from idle talk, think of these things, what so ever things are true, what so ever things are honest, what so ever things are just, what so ever things are pure, what so ever things are lovely, what so ever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise think on these things. Phil. 4:8


Find Peace Within,
Ms. Lisa



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you,
Ms. Lisa