Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sometimes It Just Doesn't Happen - My Vegan Life

What a week....wheeeee.. Can you say thank God for the weekend. :). This week brought about many challenges for me in the eating department. So what does a Vegan do when there is no time to go to the grocery store to pick up ALL the items needed to prepare any new recipes? Well you just have to learn how to work with what you have. My week--- Sunday ministering at Independence Park, Monday choirc rehearsal, Tuesday tutoring, Wednesday school, Thursday late night at the office, Friday spent more time at Home Depot than I planned. (Yes shopping for my Saturday yard work was more important than shopping for grocery). So, what did I do for food.  For breakfast I had Tofu veggie wraps, Kale and Shakeology Smoothies,  Raising Brains, Vegetable sandwiches from Subway, Peanut Butter sandwiches on Ezekiel Bread, and even some Veggie Pizza , Fish and Broccoli, finally Stir Fry Vegetables, and Oatmeal from McDonald's.

What was my lesson for this week?, "Sometimes it just doesn't happen" and you know what??? IT'S OKAY. :). I am a creature of habit and not often do I try new things, but this journey of being a Vegan has helped me get out of what I know. I'm not sure if I can credit my journey to living a Vegan lifestyle to the excitement I have with eating and cooking, but what I do know, my grocery bill has gone down because I am not buying high price salmon and chicken breast every week. Tofu cost close to $2.50, I usually takes me 3 days to finish one box of Tofu, then there is the fish, I get 5 individual packets in one bag, and the vegetables... well the Asian store has all the vegetables I need and at a very affordable price. Big bags of Kale, Cabbage, Onions, Red Peppers, Green Peppers, Yellow Peppers and Broccoli. I hear all the time the stories about how expensive it cost to eat healthy, no, not really. It is about finding the right place to shop and knowing how to prepare your meals. Trader Joe's is a great place to shop but not all of us can afford to shop at Trader Joe's... it is a specialty shop and I'm not knocking it, but I pretty much stick to places where my money can stretch and I still can maintain my healthy lifestyle journey, feed my family and save.

What I know for sure: Sometimes it just doesn't happen because "LIFE HAPPENS". So what do you do, you learn to walk where you are and work with what you have until you have time and resources to get where you want to be and what you need to continue in your journey.

Find Peace Within,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you,
Ms. Lisa