Sunday, June 8, 2014

A Lesson in the Change - My Vegan Life

As I transition from eating meat and dairy products to eating Vegan, I discovered something very important this week. There are lessons in the changes we make. Yes, change is good and it keeps the brain fresh and the feet moving but sometimes, that change will stop you in your tracks and cause you to PAUSE and take notice. My Pastor often says, "Inspect what you expect" (Michael A.Stevens). I had to do that this week.

There have been some really nice discoveries such as Plantains, Tofu scrambled eggs, even Tofu Smoothie, but I wasn't prepared for what I found out Thursday while in an ABS class. Many of you know that I love to lift weights and as a former body builder weight lifting and muscle mass is so important to our physic. Well this past Thursday I was challenged with lifting 10 pounds... yes, 10 pounds. Now, I'm the chic that can curl press 25 pounds 3 sets of 10 with no problems while squatting, but Thursday it was a challenge for me to squat, jump and press those 10 pounds for 60 seconds. Yes, Jillian Michaels has been kicking my butt with those 4 am Kettle Bell workouts and the 1 hour No More Trouble Spots workouts in the afternoons but those workouts didn't require me to lift anything over 5-8 lbs. And being the competitive one that I am, I wanted to hang with the class.. but what I found out was... I couldn't hang...I had lost muscle mass while going through the CHANGE. and not just menopause... through my VEGAN lifestyle CHANGE.

That workout caused me to INSPECT WHAT I EXPECT. You see I expected to continue to lift heavy like I did when I was eating 4 to 6 oz's. of grilled chicken or salmon and 6 eggs whites and whole grain toast but what I found out was I could not lift the same way I did when I was eating grilled chicken and salmon and eggs. No, No, No, I have not gone back to eating meat... well not today, I did eat a bowl of spaghetti Friday because I was tooo tired to cook and it was 7:30 when I got home. And YES, it had ground beef in it... :(. it wasn't that much that it set me back. What I had to do was research not just meals for VEGANS but for meals for VEGAN Body Builders... and guess what I FOUND IT... YES I DID. yea!... I am serious about my new life style so I made it a priority to find out how I could continue with this new lifestyle and remain a Vegan. The website is http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler53.htm  GET BIG AND STRONG You can Get Strong And Have a Muscular Body on a Vegan Diet... This website has great information for anyone that workouts and is interested in going VEGAN.I realized I cannot live off TOFU alone..:). I have to put some healthy fats in my diet, things like flax-seed oil, olive oil, almonds, and avocado's and a variety of proteins like black beans, quinoa, almond butter, green peas, and rice protein/soy milk shakes.

What I know for sure: RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH. When ever you decide to make a change, inspect what you expect and be ready for the lessons in the change. Be ready to change paths while taking your journey. Don't be afraid to admit you messed up and need some extra guidance. Vegan diets are not made equal, so find out what works for you... I DID and now I'm back on my journey.

Sending Smiles,
Ms. Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you,
Ms. Lisa