Friday, March 4, 2016

I Celebrate Sister-Hood - My Aunties - Coreen, Snookie, Margaret

Now when it comes to celebrating the legends in the family, these 3 right here takes the cake. Summer time was the best time because my mother's sister's would ALL come home to SC to visit and our cousins would come down as well and we had a blast. I don't remember a summer when they didn't come to Hartsville to visit. We looked forward to go away with one of them... Today I celebrate the 3 ladies I called Auntie:

Aunt Coreen - She was my third mommy. LOL!!! I always spent a few weeks during the summer at Aunt Coreen's house in Columbia. I loved going there. My cousin Stan and I were like BFF's back then. Always getting into trouble. Hanging out too late and acting like we were a couple... LOL.. kids having fun. I believe we all had a cousin we had a crush on... Innocent that is. Aunt Coreen always had a beautiful smile on her face, always having fun, laughing and cutting up with us. She's still that way today at the age of 80. Everything we went out shopping or going to the grocery store we would pass the Technical College in Columbia and I would tell Aunt Coreen I was coming to live with her and go to school. She always said I could come live with her if I wanted to but I never did. Now, this is something I will never forget... one time I went to her house in some really short shorts and she asked me if my husband knew I was wearing those shorts... I told her nope... and we both just laughed... She kept my secret... lol. and now when she sees me, we both just laugh about the day I snuck out the house one way and arrived a different way. Today I celebrate my Auntie my second mom... strong, courage's, and funny.

Aunt Snookie - The dancing Auntie who loves her some John and some beer.... lol. Aunt Snookie is always the serious one. She always worried about us. She didn't have kids of her own but loved coming home to see how Coots kids were doing. I never had the privilege of going to DC to spend the summer with her and Uncle John but Lord when they came home to visit, we had the best time. She would sit at the bar and or by the telephone and talk trash with my mom and ask us about our future. I don't ever remember seeing her sad or complaining about any aches and pains. She would always tell me how silly and funny I was... and it's pretty much still the same. When I would get loud, she would said, "Lisa why you so loud, we hear you"... and I would just laugh... I'm laughing now. I remember the summer they told me to pack my clothes because I was going to DC with them... that was 1980.. Man I had my bags all packed and ready to go. 3 am we're all up and ready because they always left early in the mornings to beat traffic. As I proceeded to go outside with my suitcase, my dad asked where was I going.. I said with aunt Snookie... he said, nope you're not going anywhere... Well that's the summer I got pregnant... Guess I should have gone to DC... LOL... Aunt Snookie is filled with questions, laughter, and love. Today I celebrate Aunt Snookie for being the level headed Aunt in my life... the one with common sense.

And now Aunt Margaret - Pretty Aunt Margaret - She was married to my mom's brother Hammie, my Uncle Hammie. They lived in Silver Springs Maryland. I never got to visit them either as a child. But during the summer, she, Uncle Hammie, Lisa and LaVeita would come to SC for the summer. She and Uncle Hammer would also dance and drink their beer. Must be a city thang.. dancing that is...Uncle Hammie was the DJ. They would have parties outside. Aunt Margaret was always soft spoken and sweet. She was like one of the girls. Always asking us questions about boys and life. She didn't care if we messed up she would just smile and say, "Oh it's okay." She is the one I would consider sophisticated. Always well put together, hair, clothes and make-up. Aunt Margaret is a strong woman who demonstrates love, patience, and grace. Today I celebrate my Aunt Margaret... the one who always spoke nicely of us all with and with a soft voice.

If you have an Auntie - celebrate her today.

Remember to Smile Everyday, Show Up Everyday, and Succeed Everyday.
Find Peace Within
Be Blessed,
Ms. Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you,
Ms. Lisa