Wednesday, March 2, 2016

I Celebrate My Sisterhood - My granny "Mazaree G. Wilson"

As I continue my reflection of the women in my life. Today I will celebrate the other most important woman in my life, the one who raise me, my granny, Mazaree G. Wilson. She would always say G.. when she would say her name, I guess so people would know who she was.. G for Gardner.

And the story begins... As long as I can remember I always lived with my grandma. It wasn't until she died in 2002, when I found out the how and why. At the age of 1 grandma became my second mom. I never called her mom because my mom was in my life. But she was the one who took care of me, taught me how to clean the house, we did this every Saturday. She taught me how to make the best pound cake, pies. We spent the better part of our lives traveling for JESUS. She introduced me to the Lord. She took me to my first tent revival on Washington Street right beside Washington Street Elementary School. I received Christ at the age of 5 and she and I began our walk with the Lord together. Grandma was strict... I mean really strict. No boys, no phone, me and Benji (our dog) couldn't go out to play much. I wore dresses ALL the time. No pants, no make up, no movies. There was a lot of NO'S at grandma's. LOL

I probably had the best of two worlds. Christmas was a double wammy for me because I got gifts from mom and dad and grandma. Now, this I didn't like... when my brothers and sisters would come over to visit and they would eat all the peppermint candy.. I didn't like that because I had the life as a only child... selfish and self-centered.

Grandma made me become a mother after I had my baby at 16. She was there when I told my parents, she made sure I knew the do's and don't's. I never, and I'll say it again, NEVER saw my grandma with a man... a true woman of God. She provided for us. She worked at night, which probably wasn't a good thing for a teenager... I'll never tell. But, even when I messed up, she was always there to show me love.

I remember her telling me as a teenager, "Lisa I hope the Lord let's me live to see you get your own house so I can see how you keep house." He allowed that to happen and I became this crazy OCD housekeeper. LOL. We would sit around the piano and sing hymns. I would play while she sat in her rocking chair and sang Blessed Assurance, How Great Thou Art and some of her other favorite hymns. On Saturday nights we would watch Wrestling, Wahoo McDaniel, and Rick Flair and all the other old wrestler's. We would watch the soap operas's during the day when I was being home schooled during my pregnancy. On Saturday  mornings we went to the beauty salon or beauty parlor as they were called back in the day. I hated spending Saturdays there because she would start doing my hair, then make me sit to the side when a customer would show up. I couldn't go out side to play because that meant she had to shampoo my hair all over again. LOL... We would start fires in the big pop belly stove on those cold nights. She taught me how to drive on the way to and from church from Florence SC. She taught me how to sew. I still have the sewing machine she bought me when I turned 16 and guess what IT STILL WORKS... LOL.

When her health began to fail and we had to put her in a nursing home as she became to much for my parents to care for. She would always tell me to that I would always be Lisa L. Wilson and that she wanted me to marry someone nice and be happy. She knew then that my life was in shambles... I believe Grandma is looking down from heaven now and smiling, knowing that I am still walking with the Lord, I am married and happy. I still wear slips, camisoles, stockings and long dresses. I still struggle with wearing pants and NEVER , NEVER do I wear lipsticks... LOL...

I have become my grandma with a twist. I love that lady.. There is so much I could say about my grandma... maybe I'll put it in a book one day.... :). Stay tune for Grandma's story.

Remember to Smile Everyday, Show Up Everyday, and Succeed Everyday
Find Peace Within
Be blessed,
Ms. Lisa


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you,
Ms. Lisa